Sunday, 13 April 2008

Warning: End-of-study paper!

Hello again everyone!

Some important things to mention for those who write their paper with me:

  1. Do not expect me to correct your rough version of your paper... This would take me too much time if I had to do this with everyone! Send me chapters that are already carefully finished!
  2. Do not spend time translating things in French and then back again in English! It's a waste of time, energy and a risk to make more language mistakes and not to sound English at all! Read things in English, write key-words on a sheet of paper, then paraphrase this in your words afterwards. AVOID using an online translation website... I can tell that immediately! And, no need to say, I won't correct your text!
  3. Do not forget to mention your sources and to quote them too. Plan your argumentation.
  4. To make things clear: I correct the first 5 pages in details for everyone (language-wise), and then you're supposed to correct things by yourself... I'll only underline the mistakes and you do the correction. After all, you'll be language teachers in a few weeks time.
  5. We wrote some advice in the newspaper we gave you at the beginning of the year, if you remember well... Go and have a look!
  6. My role as a promotor is to help you for some linguistic (there are mistakes one shouldn't be doing when in the third year) and methodological aspects of your paper and to advise you when necessary. I'm making these things clear because last year, some students took advantage of our goodwill and we spent time doing things THEY should have done. I don't want to do this anymore... You are responsible for your paper, not us.
  7. Also, take into account the fact that I need minimum two weeks to correct things and to send you my comments.
  8. Last but not least: do not expect me to spend my holidays correcting your papers. I'm not available from July 2 to August 18. I'm sure you all understand that a teacher HAS to take some distance from her job to find the energy to go on. I won't spend my holidays correcting a paper you had two years to work on.
It might seem a bit harsh for some, but I'm sure most of you understand that it's all for the best and to make you responsible for your own learning and results.

I wish you the best for your paper and am looking forward to reading you soon.

Best regards,


V Henin

No comments: