It's so nice hearing from you guys! I hope all's still going for the best! One month already?! How about that! Where should I even start...?
The first weeks I was required to present Belgium/Brussels in almost every class (I’m working with sixteen classes from 1st to 5th grade – just a reminder). The timing was perfect because it was the European Week at that time which meant introducing Europe in all courses - even in P.E. class! But I guess it’s always interesting to hear people’s common ideas about some place that you know very well. So for some of them apparently Brussels is racist (don’t ask me where that comes from).
As I work with different levels my job is very diverse. In 1 and 2nd years it’s mostly helping with dialogues in small groups and checking pronunciation. In 3rd, 4th and 5th it rather depends on the teacher. For example in 4th grade I once worked with a Diam’s’ video (from YouTube) and they had to describe the characters (clothes and looks) that appeared in the video. It was appropriate because they had just read a text about this artist in their French manuals. In three other classes (3rd and 5th) I started a project where the pupils will have to present in groups an aspect of the Netherlands (a city, arts, stereotypes, sports) in front of the class. One teacher she gives me a weekly planning before the weekend so I know what I must prepare for the coming week. Others don’t so basically I just come during the lesson and make myself useful – correct exercises, help with the materials, help children with dyslexia, function as a real time dictionary or provide extra knowledge about just anything related to French.
I must say I’m very lucky to work in such a great environment and to meet kind people (teachers, pupils... even outside of the school). So it’s really hard to find anything to complain about. I’m happy to work with teenagers. They’re rather mature, respectful, and polite with me. I’m allowed to start projects; the teachers trust me and I’m really free to bring in any exercise/game (I’m adapting in French the best ones we did for English or Dutch classes) and I will gladly analyse French songs with them soon (something I’ve always wanted to do). There are tons of differences with the average Brussels school (at least the one I have in mind – I don’t know what’s yours). I’ll point out some facts later this year...
The only times I practice my Dutch is at school or with the landlady’s kids when they come around (not to forget everyday situations). And apart from school life once again I’m very lucky I was “dispatched” in the Randstad area so the biggest cities are within my reach. Zeist is next to Utrecht and Amsterdam is 30 minutes away by train from Utrecht (I just came from there Saturday). And this month I’ll visit some of my friends in Den Haag.
Well, I think that’s about it from now. Keep updating the blog; once again thank you for keeping us updated! Thank you for your time (c;
Bye for now,
Aswin!
During the Fête de Langue
The Uithof (Utrecht University) at sunset
Dom Tower of Utrecht
Typical streets of Utrecht






No comments:
Post a Comment